Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Day i got the results

It was a normal Wednesday, 2:30pm, the phone is ringing: "Hi Melanie, this is Jake from the genetics, are you in a comfortable ambiance so we can talk?"
Yes of course, i was at home - the moment he said that i knew the news were not good. But to be honest - i expected that i am BRCA 1+, of course i was hoping for a negative. My mother is BRCA 1+, obviously my aunt was too - otherwise she would have not get cancer that early. My grandma died at age 42, my other grandma at an early age too - all from cancer. I knew the chance to be a carrier of the gene is 50/50... but i expected the bad 50!
It did not really knock me down - of course i'm more worried about everything than before. But i feel relieved to have the results - i am a carrier and finally i get people to listen to me, and get the preventive care i need!!

No comments:

Post a Comment